On this day in professional wrestling history (TAPED: October 11th, 2011 AIRED: October 14th, 2011): WWE presented episode #634 of Smackdown from the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas.
This show is most remember for having the largest battle royal in WWE history, 41 men would compete in a #1 Contender Battle Royal with the winner facing World Heavyweight Champion Mark Henry in the main event of the evening. The battle royal was won by “The Viper” Randy Orton.
The show also surpassed legendary TV show “Gunsmoke” as the second longest running weekly episodic TV program in history. The longest running show? Monday Night Raw.
Full results from the October 14th, 2011 Smackdown:
- Randy Orton won a 41 Man #1 Contender Battle Royal
- Beth Phoenix defeated Kelly Kelly
- Sin Cara defeated Justin Gabriel
- Alberto Del Rio (C) defeated Sheamus to retain the WWE Championship
- Kofi Kingston & Zack Ryder defeated Dolph Ziggler & Jack Swagger
- Randy Orton defeated Mark Henry (C) by DQ in a World Heavyweight Championship Match