On this day in professional wrestling history (September 28th, 1985), the American Wrestling Association (AWA) joined forces with the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA), World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW) & All Japan Pro Wrestling to present SuperClash ’85: The Night of Champions from Comiskey Park in Chicago, Illinois.
With the ever growing national presence & popularity of the World Wrestling Federation after a resounding successful Wrestlemania I, the AWA countered by offering a supercard of their own joining forces with other territorial promotions thus SuperClash in born. This was the first in a series of four SuperClash’s that AWA promoted.
Full Results for AWA SuperClash ’85: The Night of Champions
- Steven Regal defeated Brad Rheingans to retain the AWA Light Heavyweight Championship
- Sherri Martel defeated Candy Divine to retain the AWA World Women’s Championship
- Mil Máscaras defeated Buddy Roberts to retain the IWA Heavyweight Championship
- Greg Gagne, Scott Hall & Curt Hennig defeated Ray Stevens, Nick Bockwinkle & Larry Zbyszko
- Little Toyko defeated Little T to retain the NWA World Midget’s Championship
- Jumbo Tsuruta, Giant Baba & Genichiro Tenryu defeated Harley Race, Bill & Scott Irwin to retain the Asian Six-Man Tag Team Championship
- Kerry Von Erich defeated Jimmy Garvin to retain the WCCW Texas Championship
- Krusher Khruschev, Ivan & Nikita Koloff defeated Crusher, Dick The Bruiser & Baron van Raschke to retain the NWA World Six-Man Tag Team Championship
- Jerry Blackwell defeated Kamala in the “$10,000 Bodyslam Match”
- The Road Warriors (Hawk & Animal) defeated The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy) by DQ to retain the AWA World Tag Team Championship
- Sgt. Slaughter defeated Boris Zukhov by DQ to retain the AWA America’s Championship
- Ric Flair defeated Magnum T.A to retain the NWA World Heavyweight Championship
- Rick Martel vs. Stan Hansen ended in a double count out in a AWA World Heavyweight Championship Match
Here is the ENTIRE EVENT!